Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Interesting, Very Interesting...

As Sam noted in her comment, Ian went down for his nap yesterday without a peep. Last night, we followed our routine and again he went right to sleep without making a sound. So far today, he has napped twice. He played in his bed quietly for a few minutes but did not cry. This is very interesting to me. Apparently he learned very quickly, that he does not like to cry himself to sleep. I am anxious to see what bedtime this evening brings. We took Mark to the airport this afternoon. So, I am fully expecting to be tested tonight at bedtime. I will keep you posted.

A huge THANK YOU to Sam for talking me through trying this sleep method. It was the hardest thing to do, but well worth it. If Mark wasn't here the other night Bridget, I probably would have cried in the hallway too. I definitely wanted to do that the other night! I think he was almost more upset than I was hearing him cry so hard. It was truly heart wrenching. And, I hope that we don't ever have to go through that again. But, I am sure we will next time he decides to see what he can get away with. I'm not looking forward to it.

Other accomplishments: 1) Ian decided today that he would much rather drink with a straw than from his sippy cup. He kept reaching for my drink at lunch, so we got him his own water with a straw. No problem. His first try was a huge drink of cool water. He was so excited with himself! I think he drank about 5 ozs. this afternoon!

2) Ian has his first official boo-boo. He was standing last night in his pile of toys and fell on top of the corner of one of the toys. He cried for about 2 minutes and has a lovely mark on the side of his face. I took a picture, but left the camera in his room. So, when he wakes up from his nap and I can download the pic, I will post it for you all to see. Poor baby! I am sure that it is the first of many.

3) We bought him a swing for the tree in the backyard. He loves it! He points to the back door each time you take him into the family room. I think he would spend his entire day in that swing if I would let him!

I will try to post pictures later. Mark is gone for the next 17 days, so life will be a little crazy around here with just me to do everything.

3 comments:

Sam said...

*smooch*

That's for Ian's boo-boo!!

(hug)

That's for surviving the war on sleep!!!

Great job!!! I knew you could do it!

Anonymous said...

What a strong Mommy you are! I cried when we did this with Jake. It only lasted 2 nights and then he was OK. I think all kids have to see what they can get away with at some point.

I may have to do it again in a few days. Sarah goes down with ease but has been up 3-4 times a night the last 2 weeks. As soon as she is over her ear infection, we may be in the same boat.

Here is hoping Ian is done crying it out.

Katie

Bridget said...

Yippppppeeeeeee! You've passed the first major hurdle, but just wait until you put him in the toddler bed . . . hahahhaaaa! It's always something.