Monday, August 06, 2007

The County Fair

A couple of weeks ago, we took Ian to his first county fair. He loved it!!

For those that don't know: County fairs are big events in the midwest. You have to plan a full evening to the event. There is lots of food, truck/tractor pulls, motorcycle races, animals, crafts and booths of all sorts. We try to go to one of the local fairs each year to see the animals and support our local groups. Who am I kidding... I go for the FOOD!!! You can eat yourself sick and each year I get closer and closer to that goal. Elephant ears, BBQ, corn on the cob, pork tenderloins, steak sandwiches, cotton candy, ice cream, cinnamon rolls, pizza, walking tacos, rock candy, soft pretzels and anything that can be fried and some things that shouldn't be fried!! Just to name a few... Anyway, we decided we would have a junk food day and let Ian try stuff that he never gets to eat. Of course, the first thing we got was Ian's corn. (Several people stopped us to ask if we knew he had an ear of corn. We replied "Yes, he loves it!" They were amazed. Believe me, it's no so amazing when you change the diapers!) Then it was off to the spiral fries dripping in cheese sauce and sour cream. We chased that with corn dogs which Ian also loved dipped in mustard of course! Later we hit the cinnamon rolls and elephant ears. (He wasn't too keen on either of those, but Mama loved them!)

What else is there to do at the fair besides the rides which he was not big enough for: The animals!!!

The local 4H clubs and FFA groups have a fierce competition. The best show animals from the county fairs are taken to the state fair which runs most of the month of August. And, I won't tell you what happens to them next. Anyway, we walked through the barns to see the goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, rabbits, cows, turkeys and horses. Ian loves the horses! You can tell he is fearful of them, but totally interested in exactly what they are doing. He got to pet one in the first barn. It was hard to hold onto him after that because he kept trying to spin around to keep his eyes on that horse. He was not very interested in the turkeys or pigs. Can't blame him, the pigs smell and the turkeys are UGLY!!

Following are a few of the pictures we took.:
To see Ian's favorite activity at the fair besides eating, see the last photo!


I cracked up at these goats.
I asked why they were wearing spandex jumpsuits and was told it was to keep them clean.
I think they look so ridiculous!! But not as crazy as this next pic.....


There are so many captions for this photo!!! And so many of them are not PC!
What do you think?!?!?!
(BTW: These guys were HUGE!
Their head was at my shoulder to give you some perspective.
But the hoods just have to go as far as I'm concerned!)


Alex trying to win a prize and falling on his rear end.
It wasn't his head this time. What a refreshing change!

Okay, now for Ian's favorite thing.....


The local John Deere store had a display of all their farm equipment.
He loved every bit of it!
I think this look says: "I've got to get me one of these!!!"
I agree, they're pretty cool.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Christina said...

H,

Looks like you all had a blast! Good thing neither you or Mark have your gallbladders!!! We're going to the Ohio State Fair tomorrow....I'll post some pics afterwards. Love the spandex. What will they think of next?

Love,
Chrissy

Unknown said...

Heather
makes me miss the midwest (just a little) only for the food of course...Sounds like lots of fun, and now you see why I had to get Ian his birthday present...

Darb

Anonymous said...

Maybe "we" should think about buying a farm?? With some sweet little lambs, CATS, chickens, etc. Every post I see Ian growing and changing. Blog made me hungry, I'm headed for the fridge!